Carley first developed expertise in fetal echocardiography, and then attended medical school. Carley earned her medical degree in 1987, and from 1987-1991 was a surgical resident. At some point during her residency, Carley developed the idea that vaccines were dangerous. After leaving her surgical residency before the end of the program, Carley was briefly a resident in Physical and
Rehabilitation Medicine at Nassau University Medical Center in 1993. The director of the program had significant reservations about Carley's "emotional stability". Carley appears not to have worked in the medical field in any capacity (other than self-employment) since the early 1990s.
Carley's only child was born in 1996, following several rounds of fertility treatment. Carley was 42 at the time of her son's birth. She separated from her husband shortly after the child's birth.
In 1997, Carley began broadcasting a public-access television program “What’s Ailing America?”, covering such topics as "vaccine induced diseases, police corruption and corruption in the courts."According to Carley, on of the reasons for the demise of her marriage was that her husband was offended by her broadcasts. In June 1999 Carley and her husband were sharing custody and there was a dispute. Rebecca Carley felt that her son had been sexually abused by his father, while in his father's care. The State of New York investigated, and exonerated the father.
Subsequently the boy was placed in foster care for several months. Rebecca Carley could only see her son during supervised visitation at the courthouse, during which Carley exhibited quite provocative behavior. Following the finalization of the Carley divorce in 2000, Carley's son was returned to the custody of his father. As best I can ascertain, Carley's son has not had any contact with his mother since 2003.
Beginning in 1999, Carley developed a Grand Scheme of the cause of all disease -- vaccines are a major culprit, as well as other "toxins". The two alternatives are death by allopathy, or a return to wellness by using Carley's "Hippocrates Systems".
I am not sure I can do justice to the Gish Gallop of atni-vaccine claims in the chart developed by Carley, below. Suffice it to say that not one is evidence-based.
But fear not, Rebecca Carley has developed the "Hippocrates Protocol" to heal what ails you. Yes, the one pseudoscience to rule them all, homeopathy; plus colloidial silver and other questionable "therapies".
Carley also claims to have the following expertise:
EXPERT WITNESS QUALIFICATION BY COURTS
Vaccine Induced Diseases (VIDS)
Child Sex Abuse
Child Physical Abuse
Post traumatic Stress disorder secondary to Legal Abuse
Expert in Vaccinology as per NYS Department of Health
After a search of legal databases, I found no evidence for such Carley to be an expert witness in any legal proceeding.
Of course, the "vaccine induced diseases" is a figment of Carley's imagination. Her truncated training in general surgery over two decades ago would not prepare her to be an expert witness in pediatric abuse, either physical or sexual. Her complete lack of training in psychiatry would also make her claim to expert witness status in PTSD quite silly. And of course, a court doesn't declare a person an expert in vaccinology; one's peers do.
Here is a list of Carley's publications since 1995:
“Inoculations: the True Weapons of Mass Destruction”, April, 2005. On: CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/od/ophr/cdcra/comments.htm .
“Inoculations: the True Weapons of Mass Destruction causing Vaccine Induced Diseases (An Epidemic of Genocide) NOT published in any medical journal (as it would be a conflict of interest for the pharmaceutically controlled medical profession to admit they are creating disease). However, this article has been published on thousands of websites, and many “alternative medicine” publications.
“Response Of Rebecca Carley, MD to CDC’s Public Health Protection Research Guide 2006-2014”, submitted Jan 2006. According to the CDC, public comments will be “posted in near future” (still waiting for that to happen; the internal link to my document on the CDC site which initially existed for CDC affiliates to respond to it has since been disabled by the CDC after 100 pages of comments were submitted which were unable to refute the contents of said paper).
Anti-vaccine checklist: how does Carley score?
- Claiming that all vaccines are unsafe and ineffective Yes
- Claiming better sanitation and nutrition account for the 20th century decline in vaccine-preventable diseases Maybe or Undetermined
- Claiming that vaccines cause diseases and conditions such as autism, asthma, SIDS, or shaken baby syndrome Yes
- Claiming that anecdotal evidence is superior to scientific evidence; rejecting science and epidemiology Yes
- Cherry picking and misrepresenting the evidence Yes
- Using logical fallacies without shame in arguing Yes
- Conspiracy mongering Yes
- Silencing criticism (especially by deleting online material), rather than responding to it Yes
- (If in business) Profiting from the sale of products and services that spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about vaccines, or products and services that are said to be superior to vaccines and conventional medicine in preventing disease Yes
I was under the misapprehension that Carley's mental issues had become obvious even to the anti-vaccine movement.
However, to my surprise Carley was quoted today as an authority.
There is no dispute over whether or not mercury is a neurotoxin and that it can have a disastrous effect on brain development. A court qualified expert on vaccine induced disease, Dr Carley says that “Mercury is 1000 times more toxic than lead and is second only to uranium as the most toxic metal.” While mercury is present in multiple forms and comes from a vast number of sources it does not mean that autism or another pervasive developmental disorder cannot be exacerbated by the mercury in vaccines. The mercury emissions from massive coal burning operations in China can also contribute as this is now affecting the United States. This goes further to suggest what an enormously complicated issue autism is.(This is not the time or the place to discuss the shortcomings of the article, or the fitness of the author, Lara Stielow, whose previous employment was as a home health aide.)
Carley's value to the anti-vaccination movement is her M.D. degree; her willingness to profess qualifications she does not possess; and her support of others in the anti-vaccination movement.
There is another Rebecca Carley in health care, who is an assistant clinical professor of nursing at the University of Rhode Island. There is even a slight physical resemblance. This page is not about Professor Carley.
- One of Dr. Carley's websites http://www.drcarley.com/, Accessed Janaury 2, 2014
- Taking down the whistleblowers—Break her heart, break her will By Janet C. Phelan, American’s Bulletin July 2008 http://www.donotlink.com/dVo; scan of article at http://www.donotlink.com/dVU Accessed Janaury 2, 2014
- http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Rebecca_Carley, Accessed Janaury 2, 2014
- License Suspension of Rebecca Lee Carley, M.D., http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/carley1.html, Accessed January 2, 2014
- Encyclopedia of American Loons, http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/05/558-rebecca-lee-carley.html Accessed January 2, 2014
- The Rebecca Carley Story, Could You Be Next, aired June 22, 2002 http://www.couldyoubenext.com/TheDrRebeccaCarleyStory.htm, Accessed January 2, 2014
- Confessions of a Quackbuster, Rebecca Carley, MD, a Disgrace to Medicine http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/04/rebecca-carley-md-disgrace-to-medicine.html Accessed January 2, 2014
- Determination and Order of Fitness to Practice, July 2003, http://w3.health.state.ny.us/opmc/factions.nsf/58220a7f9eeaafab85256b180058c032/777c474f253ed8d085256d5f0053955e/$FILE/lc175786.pdf Accessed January 2, 2014
- Determination and Order of Fitness to Practice, March 2004 http://w3.health.state.ny.us/opmc/factions.nsf/58220a7f9eeaafab85256b180058c032/777c474f253ed8d085256d5f0053955e/$FILE/ATTVAXXO/lc175786.pdf Accessed Janaury 2, 2014
- http://www.reversingvaccineinduceddiseases.com Accessed Janaury 2, 2014
- Club 166, Definitely Strange, March 2007 http://club166.blogspot.com/2007/03/definitely-strange.html Accessed Janaury 2, 2014